- the purple pouf description
- the yellow pillow description
- the gerry flower
- see also part 1 of the tutorial
- this method (i do not pretend that i have invented it) i have tested with thicker and thinner yarn and both types of yarn create a flat circle. if you’re working with a thicker yarn then your work – i think – will remains flat too, but if not so, start the circle with 6 half double crochets instead of 8.
- the circle can be used for making a rug, a bag or basket or like i do for a pouf and a large floor cushion.
- this is not a pattern, but more an attempt to explain how i work when i crochet in circles.
used stitches (american english)
- ch = chain
- ss = slip stitch
- sc = single crochet
- h dc = half double crochet
- drops cotton light
60% cotton – 40% acrylic
50 g = approx 110 m
- crochet hook size 4 mm
colors and amount
- lightest color – 6 balls
- second color – 3
- third color – 3
- dark blue – 3
- black – 3
how to start
- make 2 chain
- make 8 h dc in second chain from hook
- tighten loop
- close row with a ss in the first h dc
- make 1 chain
work the next rows as follows
- first row – 8 stitches
- second row – 16
- third row – 24 – 1 stitch between the groups of two stitches
- fourth row – 32 – 2 stitches between the groups of two stitches
- fifth row – 40 – 3 stitches between the groups of two stitches
- sixth row – 48 – 4 stitches between the groups of two stitches
- and further
- the first place you increase is into the first half double crochet of each a row by making 2 h dc in 1 h dc
- the other places where you increase are always the first stitches of the groups of two of the previous rows (see also part 1)
- end each row with a slip stitch in the first half double crochet
- then make a chain
- start the next row by crocheting 2 half double crochets into the same stitch in which you have made the slip stitch
- forget the chain
- end your work with a couple of rows without increase.
in close up the joining will look like this:
colors and number of stitches of the pouf
- for the first part crochet 35 rows in the first color, the last row of this shade has 33 stitches between the groups of 2
- second part in the second color: 7 rows, the last row of this shade has 40 stitches between the groups of 2
- third part in the third color: 7 rows, the last row of this shade has 47 stitches between the groups of 2
- fourth color: don’t increase but crochet three rows one stitch in each stitch of the previous row,
- than 1 row decrease, which is done by crocheting two h dc together on the place where you would actually increase (if you had continued to increase the last 3 rows) and 1 extra stitch back – see photo
this row creates the bend to the side of the pouf
- after this row crochet 3 other rows with one stitch in each stitch
- fifth color: 7 rows one stitch in each stitch of the previous row
- make the other side of the pouf in the same manner
- my pouf has a diameter of about 72 cm and is about 14 cm high.
filling and buttons
the two parts of the pouf i finished. what i have to do next is crochet the two parts together, make a part with buttonholes and sewing on the buttons. i ordered bean bag filling (polystyrene) and after sewing an inner cushion, i can fill it and put it into the pouf. that is what i am working on.
the result i post another time.
yellow floor cushion
for the large yellow floor cushion i have used regular and mercerized cotton from my stash. both yarns are suitable for hook size 2.5 to 3.5 mm, i used hook size 4 mm. as a result, the cover is quite stretchable.
if you like to make a similar pillow, just follow the same method of making rows and increasing until the cushion has the size you like. i did 47 rows, but this time i did not crochet rows without increase or rows in which i have decreased the number of stitches. the cushion cover has a diameter of about 67 cm.
with the wrongs sides facing each other, i have both parts crocheted together with a row of half double crochets, but i have left a space large enough for a pillow to put through. along one edge of the opening i also made a row of half double crochets.
- on the other side of the opening i made button holes by alternating half double crochets with chains and skipping two stitches. this you need to divide equally.
- i started with 2 h dc, *2 ch, skip 2 stitches, 4 h dc* repeat between * * and ended with 2 h dc.
the gerry flower