finally here is the promised tutorial for very easy cushion covers with a shoe lace closure.
if you’re a novice crocheter and have not previously created a larger project, this might be suitable for you, but it is necessary that you are able to crochet the basic stitches and to change color.
for the main colors i used acrylic yarn that is available in the netherlands and belgium with the label saskia and it are balls of 100 grams. for the upper edges of the covers i used leftovers, the cream is also the brand saskia, the two gray shades are bravo of schachenmayr nomotta.
- acrylic yarn – 260 mtr per 100 grams suitable for crochet hooks 3,5-4 mm crochet hooks 5,5 mm and 4 mm
- main colors: ultramarine green, mustard and bright pink – each 2 balls of 100 grams
- top of the covers: cream, two shades of gray – leftovers
- by the way: of the ultramarine yarn i had not enough and have therefore made a much broader gray part
- a needle with a blunt point to weave in yarn ends
used stitches (american terms)
regarding the beginning chains: i have not counted the number, the chains that i had too much after row 1 i have skipped and later detached. the remaining yarn end i have woven in. more info about this you can read here
how to crochet the cover
- on my couch i have cushions of 50 by 50 cm but you can adjust the pattern to any size you like.
- with the large crochet hook start crocheting chains until the length is slightly longer than your cushion.
row 1. make the first dc flo in the 3rd stitch from hook and then 1 dc flo in all other chains, 2 ch, turn. crochet only into the upper loop, see photo.
row 2. make 1 dc flo into the next stitch and all other stitches till end of row, only the last stitch is a normal dc, 2 ch, turn.
note: keep your cushion on hand to check the size, pull the stitches that are to many. please note that the cover is stretchy.
i’ve checked the size when i was halfway row 2, i then pulled what was to large.
row 3 and further: repeat row 2 until you have the height that you want for your cushion.
i have crochet 28 rows in the main color.
row 1. attach your main color to the other side of the beginning chain and make 2 chains
make 1 dc flo into the next stitch and in all other stitches till end of row, 2 ch, turn.
attaching the sides together
a few notes
finally: are you busy making christmas gifts? what do you think about this cushion cover in wool white with a red border? just a thought:)