i had to work quickly and therefore at first i was not going to make a tutorial, that’s why i have no pictures taken while i was making the bag. anyway, i hope it’s all clear to you, it’s not a complicated pattern (at least i think so).
with the blue yarn, i tried to crochet a sweater last year, but that did not work and i ripped the thing. i hope you can see on the pictures that the blue yarn is slightly thicker than the black.
i used about six 50 grams balls of the blue yarn and about 2 of the black (but it may be that the blue yarn is stretched a little)
the black yarn is popular fin, beijer, 50 grams – 200 m
the bag is crocheted with double strands of yarn with crochet hook size 5 mm
used stitches (american terms)
single crochet -sc
double crochet -dc
how to make the bag
make 76 chains
- row 1. first dc in the third ch from hook and in all the other chains until end of row, 2 ch, turn
- row 2. 1 dc in 2nd stitch and in all the other stitches till end of row, 2 ch, turn
- row 3 and further. repeat row 2
- i crocheted about 52 cm
- the blue part of my bag measures now it is finished: width 52 cm (without the edges) and height 24 cm
- don’t cut the yarn
- fold the left and right sides towards each other
- you can attach the sides together in the following way, start with the side where the yarn is still attached: 1 ss in the last dc you have made, 1 ss in the the opposite dc. crochet alternately 1 ss in each dc on one side and 1 ss on the opposite side. you get a nice edge this way
- cut the yarn and do the same on the other side of your bag
- cut yarn, weave in ends.
top of the bag
- on the next row, you work in the top of the dc, that is the smallest space (actually the sides of the stitches)
- attach the same color yarn onto any stitch at the top of your bag
- work 1 sc in the top of the dc, *1 ch, 1 sc in the next dc*, repeat between * * until the end of row
- cut the yarn and weave in ends (i never finish with a ss into the first stitch but sew the yarn neatly) *.
- attach your second color yarn to any 1 ch space, make 1 ch, *1 sc in next 1 ch space, 1 ch*, repeat this but don’t end the row, just keep crocheting in circles until you like the height of your bag.
- the black part on my bag is about 8 cm high.
- don’t cut the yarn, but crochet these stitches until you are 9 cm from the side (left or right), here you start making your first handle
- crochet 80 chains (customize this number if you want longer or shorter handles, mine measure about 48 cm and fit around my shoulder if i wear my winter coat)
- make 1 sc in the 1 ch space 9 cm from the other side, 1 ch, 1 sc in next 1 ch space
- keep crocheting and repeat this to make your second handle
- keep crocheting until you reach your first handle.
- crochet 1 sc in the first ch of your first handle and in all other chains,
- between the handles you crochet 1 sc into only the 1 ch spaces of the last row,
- 1 sc in all the chains of your second handle and
- 1 sc in the remaining 1 ch spaces of the last row until you reach the first handle again.
- attach the yarn in any ch on the inside of the handles, crochet a sc in every ch and every 1 ch space
- then you crochet 2 rows of ss
- cut the yarn and weave in the ends. *