for a long time i wanted something made of black and pink yarn, for some reason an exciting combination. now proved to be too exciting for me because i have combined it with a very light and a dark shade of gray. the sleeves are fitting great and because they are a bit too long, i can hide my hands in the cuffs when i am cold.
i found it very difficult to properly describe how i crocheted it. hopefully the pattern is clearly enough.
softfun – scheepjes -ca. 140m/50gr – 60% cotton/40% acrylic
- pink – 3 balls
- dark gray – 4 balls
- very light gray – 1 ball
- black – 1 ball
- 30 transparant plastic buttons with 4 holes
- crochet hook size 3.5 mm
- needle with a blunt point
for this pattern you can use any yarn you like, if it is thicker or thinner than my yarn, only adjust the number of stitches.
used stithes (american terms)
- ch – chain
- ss – slip stitch
- dc – double crochet
- bpdc – back post double crochet
- fpdc – front post double crochet
pattern & notes
this is how i have made it.
the basis is 21 stitches (16 + 5 chain) with a multiple of two. i started with 79 chain and made the first dc in the seventh chain from hook. from here you can follow the diagram, but first some pattern notes.
- from row 2, i replaced the first dc not by 3 but 2 chains
- rows 1, 3, 5 and further (the odd rows) are on the wrong side, these are the rows of dc’s and chains
- rows 2, 4, 6 and further (the even rows) are on the right side, these are the rows with the post stitches – bpdc and fpdc – and chains. these rows always begin with a fpdc right after the turning chains
- i suggest you mark the right side with a piece of contrasting color yarn
- you can choose to use one or several colors to work with, like i did. i first made one half until it was long enough, measured from my spine to my hand. when that part is long enough finish with a row with post stitches and weave in all ends
- attach the yarn to the beginning chains on the right side and crochet a row with post stitches
- make the second part the same way as the first part, end with a row of post stitches and chains.
attach the yarn on the wrong side at a long side of your scarf and start with 3 ch, then you crochet 1 dc in the space of the first dc, 1 ch, 1 dc in the space of the next dc, repeat this until you reach the end of this side, 3 ch and turn. crochet a row of post stitches and chains till end of row. fasten off.
repeat these 2 rows on the other long side of your scarf.
note to row 1: the spaces between 2 dc’s serve as buttonholes.
weave in all ends of yarn and sew buttons down one long side and then you’re done.
options to wear
hope you like the concept of this scarf-button-sleeves!
have fun with it!
more about bpdc and fpdc:
- if you are not familiar with front and back post stitches, there are many good tutorials. one of them is: http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-fpdc-bpdc.htm
- and to read how teresa of crochet-mania the stitches explains click on this link: http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/2009/01/crochet-basketweave-rows-square-or.html