here you see the points at the ends of a scarf i’ve worn a lot this winter. i had seen a picture somewhere on flickr of a similar scarf and i figured out how i could make this scarf for myself. it looks like an elongated triangle and it measures about 2.5 meters, it is warm en soft and lovely to wear.
tiff of dottie angel has created a new bunting and when i saw the pictures the first thing i thought was: hey that’s just my scarf, and right away it seemed like inspiration itself was playing ping pong in my head. the result is a bunting inspired by dottie angel.
pointy bunting: how to make one?
for the small girly one: cantania mercerized cotton, katia capri (the soft yellow shade), hook size 3 mm
for the large one: acrylic yarn, hook size 4 and 3,5 mm
materials for both buntings: needle, vintage buttons
stitches (american english)
- ch = chain
- sc =single crochet
- h dc = half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- row 1. 4 ch, 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, 2 ch, turn (2 dc)
- row 2. 1 dc in next stitch, 2 ch, turn (2 dc)
- row 3. 1 dc in last dc of previous row, 1 dc in next stitch, 2 ch, turn (3 dc)
- row 4. 1 dc in next st and in 2nd ch of turning ch, 2 ch, turn (3 dc)
- row 5. 1 dc in next st and in 2nd ch of turning ch, 2 ch, turn (3 dc)
- row 6. 1 dc in last dc of previous row, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in 2nd ch of turning ch, 2 ch, turn (5 dc)
- row 7. 1 dc in next st and in the next 2 st, last dc in 2nd ch of turning ch, 2 ch, turn (5 dc)
- row 8. same as row 7
- continue crocheting row 6, 7 and 8 to make the point (=flag) larger (increase every third row with 2 stitches).
a. make all points equal or give them different sizes. at the end of each point make a number of chains which creates the distance between this and the next point, later you will sew this chain to the next point.
b. when your bunting is long enough make a number of chains of the same color as the first point of your bunting, that’s because you don’t have chains on that side. sew it to the first point in the same way as you did with the other chains to the other points. use my photo’s for reference.
c. attach another color to the beginning of your bunting and make 2 ch, 1 h dc in third chain from hook and in every stitch till end of row.
d. weave in all ends. you can use the ends of yarn at the tips of the points to attach beads or buttons.